Monday 22 February 2010

The Fox Came

The fox came tonight and attacked my hen house. I've been keeping chickens and ducks for about five or six years now I should think, and during that time I think I've had three fox attacks, where I've lost stock. Tonight I failed to lock the birds up early enough, and at around ten o clock, David heard a great commotion and ran out with the dog, by the time we got out there of course the culprit/s had gone leaving a mess of feathers and dead bodies behind. Luckily the three Indian Runner Ducks were safe in their house, foxes have always gone for the ducks first in the past, but this time it was the chickens. Three birds were still safe in the hen house, of the remaining five one was cowering in a corner of the run, may or may not survive the shock, two were dead, one dying, had to be finished off, one missing presumed dead. I was particularly sad to lose my Red Black Auracana, a traditional breed, who was an old hen but still laying.

I had a smaller number of laying hens this year as last year I had concentrated on raising birds for the table  so now I'm down to just three or four hens, and three ducks.

It's my own fault, I should have been more vigilant. But it's a hard lesson.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so very sorry...I hope the rest of your flock is okay, and you are too--Try to not be so hard on yourself; easier said than done, I know...Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words Kim, which I really appreciate. When things like this happen my initial response is that I should just give it all up and buy a bungalow in Bognor, but fortunately kind words like yours help the feeling to pass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. as you know, I have been there recently and worn the bloody t shirt....
    bad time for foxes now as they are cubbing....
    I am so sorry for you......I know the guilt that you feel!!!
    chin up johnxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks John, I suppose it's just one of those things we poultry keepers have to bear, I'm just so flipping cross with myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that this has happened to you. It is so awful when it happens. I was so frustrated by constant fox attacks last year that I gave up keeping chickens. The last attack the fox just came in and killed the lot. It didn't take any. I missed keeping them so much I now have some more but we have an electric fence now. I hope that this will do the trick. Try not be be hard on yourself. Janine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave you a Sunshine award! http://jsmwebber.blogspot.com/2010/02/two-lovely-surprises.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how sad :( Glad the ducks survived though and hope the scared chook survives. Don't blame yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your kind and supportive comments. Even though I know it happens to other people it still helps to hear that I'm not the only one! The white chicken seems to have survived none the worse for her ordeal apart from a large bald patch where presumably she escaped the vulpine jaws - so she was incredibly lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry. The fox came and killed (and thankfully removed all trace of) our 6 Indian Runner Ducks 3 years ago and although I miss them terribly, I can't bring myself to get more. The following evening there was a pile of fox poo right outside my back door with feathers sticking out of it - that was just too much! Hope the other chooks have survived.

    ReplyDelete
  10. tammykingdon, luckily the fox missed the ducks this time,in the past they have gone for them first, so I cound myself lucky on that front. Many thanks for commenting

    ReplyDelete

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...