Wednesday 4 August 2010

An At Risk Group

To quote one of my favourite comedians, David Mitchell,
"I do not have OCD, I've checked . Three or four hundred times. I definitely don't. I've stopped myself catching it by washing my hands an even number of times. But I'm aware I'm in an 'at risk group' "

If you grow sweet peas, you may notice a tendency towards this kind of behavior. I certainly do. I took the dog out this morning in the pouring rain, the first pouring rain I've seen for ages so I wasn't complaining, just put the wellies on and set off, and  we were making a fairly cracking pace towards the front gate when I was obliged to stop and attend to this

Seed pods on the sweet peas. (Variety Cupani, by the way, an old fashioned variety with smaller but highly scented flowers) Seed pods however, are not allowed to form on the sweet peas, it contravenes Garden Regulation 472 paragraph 7 subsection 3.1, which clearly states that if you allow a seed pod to ripen on sweet peas the plant will fail to initiate any further flowers even if you take it off later and it will just sit there for the rest of the summer, a pile of pale green leaves and tendrils. I'm not sure that this is even correct, my sweet peas grow in a tangle on a wigwam so it's impossible to discern accurately. But I'm not taking any chances, and so every single time I pass the wigwams I have to stop and gather any seed pods that may have formed since last time I walked past, even if it was only ten minutes ago.
I have to do it. Even in a force ten gale, three feet of snow have fallen, and the house is on fire, David's revving the car in the drive waiting for me to open the gate because we're late, I just have to stop for the few seconds it takes to pick them off.

But of course however careful you are, like the labours of Penelope you will never finish, and this morning when Mo and I came back some twenty damp minutes after the first Seed Pod Incident and we were both desperate to get into the kitchen, dry out, and have a cup of tea (she likes tea), I spotted out of the corner of my eye...

there it is, lurking at the back.  And there were numerous others too.So we had to stand there in the pouring rain just to pick off the rogue seed pods ( actually I did all the picking, she just sat there in the rain, no help at all...)

I'm definitely in an "at risk group".

11 comments:

  1. I'm like that with day old daylily blossoms. They HAVE to come off, no matter what! I don't know why, but it does give me the excuse of stopping and taking a good look at the new daylily blossoms that appear each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never grown sweet peas before but we have talked about it. Now when we eventually do I will be aware of how to keep the flowers blooming. Although, growing sweet peas sounds like quite a serious obligation, I'll have to keep that in mind before taking the plunge.:) They really are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny but sadly I can identify with much of what you say!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty they are...can't grow those here,too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the morning chuckle, it makes for a great start to my day. It has been a wonderful year for my Sweet-peas here in Oregon, because of all the cool damp weather we have had. I have never heard of Cupani or seen it offered, so I will be on the lookout for it in the catalogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if that really does happen if you leave the seed pods on them. I have not grown sweet peas for years as I have not had a garden suitable to grow them in. When we make the final move to France maybe then.... Perhaps I will now end up like you after you telling me this:) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol I am the same, maybe you could start a seedpod annonymous group - hhmm maybe another name for it as the initials would be SAG which isn't going to get many people to join :-) Those pesky pods are always popping up aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very Funny - Im going to be using this quote a lot! Im like this with my tomatoes at the moment - the question is does a watched tom ever ripen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Louise, I'm fine with daylilies, (the treatment must have worked...;)

    You don't have to be OCD about it Mr H, it's just me

    Thanks Heather

    A support group may be needed Scented Sweetpeas!

    Hi Doc, Cupani is very generally available here, the flowers are smaller bicoloured magenta and pink, but there are lots of them and the scent is good.

    Hi Freerangegirl, the answer is definately yes, but clearly it takes much longer...

    ReplyDelete

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...