Tuesday 14 December 2010

Change of Address

I've changed my address. I no longer live at Carters Barn in the lovely Wiltshire countryside. I now reside at twenty seven Catastrophe Mansions, Disaster Avenue, Slough of Despond, Hades.

There's a rule of life that says If Something Can Go Wrong, It Will.  So if a fire is going to break out, it will do so a week before Christmas when your rellies are about to arrive, and your decorations are just going up.

I also find that one never looks one's best when a burly fireman is bursting through the front door, hose in hand. I love a man in uniform as I think I've said before, and yet when you should be wearing your best Nigella style black satin dressing gown, floating back elegantly from the kitchen, wodge of chocolate cake in hand, you find yourself in fact wearing your slightly shrunk in the wash cotton nightie, a pair of wellies, and a dog walking coat that's let's face it has seen better days. No make up and a hair style reminiscent of Bill Clinton's worst excesses, where the hair appears to be growing at an angle perpendicular to the head. I'd jumped out of bed and grabbed the first thing to hand before dialling 999. And thank goodness for the Swindon Fire Brigade, and the Cricklade Retained Fire Service. Lovely men, fantastic service. Could not have asked for more. Thanks guys.

I can see the funny side of this now, but only because no one was hurt, thank goodness, when an ember set fire to a log basket in the early hours, and I know that the damage can all be put right. The man from NFU was quick and helpful, and we just have to find a carpet fitter, a decorator, and a builder who can restore us to some normality this side of Christmas. "Stuff" is all replaceable. The only thing I was really upset about was a little thing that's not reallly replaceable

My children made a set of partridges/doves/calling birds(not quite sure which)  many years ago from card and tinsel, following instructions from  Blue Peter, and I have brought them out every Christmas since. So I was particularly sad to see that they had gone in the fire, all but this little charred remain. But I will continue to treasure this single  little partridge/dove/calling bird with it's singed tail as a reminder of good fortune, and wait until my grandchildren are old enough to make me another set. Things could have been a lot, lot worse. So maybe it's not quite Catastrophe Mansions, maybe it's more like twenty seven Lucky Lane, Therebut-Forfortune, Wiltshire.

Black satin on the Christmas list maybe?

PS Please check your smoke alarm batteries, they could save your life.

29 comments:

  1. its to sad, the poor partridges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kathy, You are putting a very brave face on this incident I feel and, as you are, I am so very glad that the situation was not so much worse. Yes, stuff can be replaced and one does at these times realise what really is important in life.

    I do so hope that all will be put right for Christmas and I wish you and your family a very happy time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Mum :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness me - what a shock and what a shame !

    I do hope that you manage to have a lovely winter holiday despite all the stress this must be causing.

    Love to you and yours,

    Irene x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are alright and could get help there so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my I am so sorry your home caught fire! I am also very very glad no one was injured!!

    Fire is a scary thing for sure!!! Whew again glad no one was injured.

    I loved your Nigella comment...tee hee. I watch her cooking show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good heavens, so happy you all are safe. I did feel terrible laughing at your description.

    ReplyDelete
  8. shit!!!
    ok hunky fireman are a bonus! but your story is a sobering one!!!!

    I am so glad you all are ok.... I worry about our logburner sometimes especially when the dogs are in the house and I am not!

    anyhow where are the photos of the firemen and their hoses?

    farnarr fanarr
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you can it sorted out quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone, for your kind comments and concerns. As I said, it's easy to see the funny side when no one is injured, but it will certainly make me more aware of the dangers, and more careful to take the proper precautions in future. And brushes like this do in some way make you appreciate life's gifts. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just to say, this post reads like I keep a pair of wellies by the bed, which would be unusual even by country standards. I meant to say that I jumped out of bed, ran downstairs, and then put the wellies on. Just so you don't think I'm some kind of weirdo..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Considering how bad it all could have gone, you are fortunate! It's good that you will have a semblance of normalcy by Christmas. Sorry about the little birds, but like you say, your grandchildren can make you more and they will be precious too.

    No, I didn't even think about the wellies being by the bed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a scary thing to happen. I'm so glad no one was hurt and that you regained your sense of humor about it. Hope you have a great Christmas!--Inger

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I’m so sorry. It is terrible and yes it could have been a lot worse but it’s still a crappy thing to have to deal with and particularly this time of year. Hang in there and glad you are laughing now--that helps too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry. Thank goodness you are all safe and have been able to keep your sense of humor. I think you deserve a fur trimmed satin robe with matching slippers to complete the outfit. The new address is catchy :-). Hugs and blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a terrible shock but thankfully you are all OK. I can think of nothing that frightens me more than fire where it should not be. I hope you have a great Christmas despite all the problems. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh! I;m so glad that it turned out OK! Thank goodness for smoke detectors. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh you were lucky it wasn't a whole lot worse, ya could have been naked! No! lol just kidding, like you say, 'stuff' can be replaced, you guys cant! Oh and I love firemen..Phoooaarrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kathy that's awful! Three cheers for Wiltshire Fire Department, and so glad no one was hurt. Hope you find carpets and decorators and have a lovely Christmas despite it all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear about your fire, thank goodness you had a smoke alarm.
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry Kathy! We had a chimney fire about two years ago -- nothing serious and no real damage, but I know how scary it can be. I'm so glad you are okay and can post about it with humor.

    As long as you and your family are all right -- Christmas will be a happy one, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's really too bad, hope you are able to get everything back in order soon. The important thing is that you are OK.

    I bet it smells pretty bad too.:(

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, no! I am so sorry to hear this. I know that events such as this one can be very devastating. I am praying for a speedy clean up! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank goodness you are all ok, yep I think black satin on the wish list is a good idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my, what a terrible shock it must have been ~ but thank goodness no one was hurt! I hope things soon get back to normal for you (((hugs)))

    And let's all shout "hurray" for ALL our fab emergency services, who we tend to take for granted and only really appreciate their true worth when we need their help :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad you came through the experience intactus, and that you can see the funny side. I find that 'seeing the funny side' helps to keep one galloping along in life, despite the occasional trip up. Sending you copious amounts of 'end of year' blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a horrid thing to happen. So glad all is well, apart from the obvious, soot and mess etc. Just seeing those hunky firemen must have made things seem better immediately! and your cheerful humour will help you along as well. Wishing you a very Happy Christmas and peaceful happy start to the new year. Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  28. thank you again, to everyone who has sent kind wishes for us. It's lovely to read your comments and thoughts, and I am buoyed up by your contributions. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

    - Daniel

    ReplyDelete

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...