Thursday 24 February 2011

Oops I did it again

Last year when digging over a neglected part of the plot I found I had inadvertently left some parsnips in the ground  and they had grown to humungous proportions - well,  while digging over a neglected part of the plot this year, I expect  you can guess the rest.....


Some people just never learn, here's a picture of one of them  next to my size sevens for comparision. Not many of those to the pound, as they say. Amazingly, they're not tough and woody as I would have imagined, and although they're not as sweet as they might be, roasted in the oven and glazed with a bit of honey or maple syrup and they're still good to eat. That's the parsnips, not the wellies.

 Under these two old shower screens is where I came across them, while preparing a section for some early salad sowings in a week or two. I thought I could put them to good use as lights for a cold frame type thing. But I didn't make allowance for the fact that they weigh a ton, (probably some sort of safety glass I expect) and are not really ideal. They'll help dry and warm up the ground a bit though, ready for  the seed to go in next month, and then I think they will have to go to the tip or be Freecycled.

13 comments:

  1. You could sell that parsnip to a circus!

    or, make enough apple-parsnip soup to last until next year's 'finds'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey -- if it's edible -- eat it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, lovely find, a second year in a row! Looks great, I haven't found a decent parsnip, since I moved from MN, and I love them sliced and fried in butter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are HUGE well its a bonus to find anything at this time of year to be able to eat

    ReplyDelete
  5. That'll fill a hole if you get one of those down you! That is a good idea you've had for the doors. It's important to warm the soil for early sowings and that glass with do the job well on sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy, I've nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award. You can read about it on my blog.

    Great parsnips by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those parsnips are amazing, wish mine would grow half as big as that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's hilarious. not the worst mistake to make twice! like the story of the big turnip. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That parsnip is certainly impressive:) I'm surprised that it wasn't woody though. It's really good that you can use them, roast parsnips - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good lord, that's the biggest parsnip I have ever seen in my life!

    ReplyDelete

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...