Sunday 28 June 2009

As I was saying, lock the poultry up safely.....

As I said in my last post it's the job of the chicken or duck keeper has to ensure to always lock away the stock safely at night. So make sure you do as I say, not as I do, as unfortunately, I somehow managed to leave the white duck shown in the picture on the right of the page, exiting the veg garden, out overnight and she was no doubt taken by a fox. She had developed a tendency to hide in the shrubbery over the last few days instead of going into the duck house like her two sensible duck sisters. I wondered if she had started to go broody, and was hiding a clutch of eggs somewhere,but I went out late to shut the duck house door without checking that they were all inside. Well at least the loss was only the one, and I have the four young ones coming along, but I still hate to lose birds to the fox, always makes me feel like I failed to do the job properly.
Of course, I was extra careful tonight to ensure they were all safely locked away, especially the 14 table chicks withe the broody, but that's just Stable Door Syndrome kicking in...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...