Thursday 1 April 2010

Greenhouse Seed Sowing, update

Just a note about what I'm sowing in the greenhouse. It's the busiest time for seed sowing, and this year I feel I'm quite late with everything because the weather has been so poor, and after the recent spell of reasonably warm days, as I speak it's back to freezing cold nights and stormy days again. Let's hope we get some more decent weather next week, so we gardeners can get on with outdoor preparations, but for now, in the shelter of my greenhouse I have sown lots of things in modules, this Rhubarb Chard, for example.
And a few globe artichokes, these are small ones designed to be eaten young and whole, Violetto Precoce.

A supply of baby salad leaves grown in modules, to make little plug plants which I will put out when they're big enough


and several drain pipes full of peas.
I like tall peas, because you get more peas per square foot of garden, and last year I grew Alderman and Telephone. One of them was ok and the other was superb in both flavour and production. Trouble is I lost the labels so I couldn't tell which was the good one so I'm having to grow both again this year. I will make doubly sure I don't lose the labels this time. If anyone has any experience of these varieties and can make recommendations  I'd be grateful for any guidance.

And some first early potatoes, ready to be planted out this weekend, varieties Rocket, and International Kidney
So plenty to be going on with then.

5 comments:

  1. Kathy,
    It certainly is a busy time for growers. You seedlings look great. i grew rhubarb and ruby chard last year and loved it. Will grow some more this year.
    I know what you mean about labels, I was doing it a lot last year. Esp when the plants needed up-potting or transferring into the ground, I would mislay the labels, with the brassicas mainly. Not this time though, my growing space has been reduced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need a greenhouse!!!
    have not got one as yet and no space in my garden....coldframes are just not the same....a man needs a see through shed eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Mangocheeks, chard really is a great value crop, and this year I will not lose the labels!

    john - how about a small lean-to? Every little helps, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by my blog and starting to follow it. I hope you enjoy the adventures of a retired lady who loves animal and plants.

    I have been reading through your posts. They're fun and full of information. Beautiful pictures, also. I'll enjoy following it.

    ReplyDelete

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...