Thursday 29 July 2010

I've reminded myself to post the results of this year's anti bird tactics in the fruit garden, after  last night's lovely pudding of Cherries Jubilee ( recipe tomorrow) made with some cherries from the freezer. I should have posted this a few weeks ago when I harvested them but here's my thoughts anyway. The  Buzz Off product, which is a thin plastic line that whirrs in the breeze and frightens away birds has proved useful though not revolutionary. I have found that it has to be used in conjunction with other barrier methods to keep birds off cherry trees, and my plastic bags and bin liners, whilst not aesthetically pleasing, do seem to do the job quite well. I've made a mental note not to put the bags on too early though, as I lost quite a lot of fruit from doing just that, and they either dropped off or rotted. But I still got quite a good crop of sweet cherries from the Stella tree
and also sour cherries from the Morello tree

 where I used only the line as protection, and no bags, since sour cherries are not quite so readily taken by birds as sweet cherries, (although they've stripped the tree bare in the past). So for me a couple of buckets of cherries as opposed to no cherries as in previous years, is a result. And at £3.99 for 30 metres it's well worth a go.

 I have found the Buzz Off line most useful over the strawberry bed, where it can be placed two or three feet above the plants, but I also cover the bed with plastic netting. In previous years I have often found that birds get under the netting,- it's quite annoying to have to rescue a corpulent blackbird who's spent the morning gorging himself on strawberries and can now barely waddle flatulently off down the garden - but I think the Buzz Off line has helped stop this from happening. Although the soft fruit is mostly finished, I still have the lines in place as I'm wondering if they will help to deter pigeons from the winter brassicas that I've just planted out into their final quarters. Once again I will be netting the plants, but I think the lines may have a bit of a belt and braces effect, and frankly anything that helps protect the plants is welcome in my book. I really can't be doing with pigeons, the only ones I like are on a plate with bacon and mushrooms, accompanied by a glass of red wine.
 

8 comments:

  1. The cherries look good! I do love cherries! It sounds like your deterrent tactics worked! I was going to try the bags on the pecan trees this year, but it appears we don't have enough to bother with, very few and far between. Guess I will let the crows have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Buzz line sounds like an excellent idea. Might try that next year. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes ,it seems we have a never ending fight against nature here too,this year it has been the squirrels! Your cherries look very good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kathy, I do not grow but love eating cherries. In Hungary both sweet and sour varieties are plentiful and cold cherry soup is a National Institution. Perfect for a hot summer's day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got some beautiful cherries. Good info on the bird deterents. I put a couple of layers of netting over my strawberries and haven't had any problems with birds getting through. I think the extra mesh helps but I like the idea of the strips above the patch too. I may do that next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Cherries look nice and I think a combination of methods is a good approach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sharon, how lucky are you to have pecan trees!

    Hi Diane, yes it's well worth a try

    Hi Melodie, I too have a squirrel problem, I'm planning a post about how I'm dealing with them

    Hello Edith, Cold cherry soup sounds delicious and inventive.

    Hi GSS, hope it helps with your bird deterring!

    Hi Sue Joe and Michael, thanks, they were!

    Hi Rob Indeed I have found it to be the best so far. thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...