Saturday 3 July 2010

The Clergyman At The Back Door

Thought I would just show you a picture or two of the vigorous white rose  Rambling Rector who lives by the back door. I took this picture last week, when it was at its peak, it's just gone over now - there's no second show, it's all at one mad flurry, but quite lovely for a week or two in June.
Not only is it visually stunning, the perfume is lovely too, and has filled the kitchen whilst I've had the doors and windows open in the hot weather.

It's fairly generally available, but don't be tempted to plant this rose on a small pillar or arch.It is vigorous and needs plenty of room to spread and is ideal for planting at the base of an old apple tree. There's another one in the village growing on a dead almond tree which also works well. If you plant it by the back door like me, you do have the side effect of a confetti filled kitchen for a few days when the petals start to fall though. Small price to pay I feel.

9 comments:

  1. That is just stunning! I wish I could breath in the fragrance....

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very lovely! It really puts on a show, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning, it is so sad though that you only get to enjoy it for such a short time during the year. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Positively beautiful! I'm intrigued by the name, too....never have heard of it. Enjoy every rare day of sight and scent of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful thing, almost like a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for those kind words everyone, yes it is a short burst of flower and scent, but well worth it if you have the room. And I love the name too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ours has just finished, the drop of rain we had has spread the petals all over the place.

    You can extend the flowering in a way by growing Rosa 'Kiftsgate', it looks very similar to 'Rambling Rector' and grows tremendously following The Rector with it's flowering to give another few weeks.

    Have a look at 'Leos Eye' on my blog to see a delicious coloured rambler.

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've ever seen a prettier rose. And such a perfect name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a similar rose back in the UK, and that flowered just once, but was glorious when it did. And rampant. That plant grew like a triffid like this one does, I suppose the reason being that if this type of rose is only going to flower once a year, then it thinks that it had better make sure it gives a good show of blossom on the maximum amount of stem!

    ReplyDelete

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...