Sunday 20 March 2011

First Bird Box Movie

Just a quick post today, to test out my first birdbox movie. Go on, press play -






I know, I apologize that although it's called a movie, there isn't actually any movement in it. I was thrilled last week when a pair of robins started building a nest in my camera bird box. And for the last few days Mrs Robin (or possibly Mr and Mrs Robin, since I can't tell them apart) has been in and out of the nest all week adjusting the grass and moss to her satisfaction, and has laid the first egg this morning, since when she appears to have cleared off. Temporarily, I hope. Probably stocking up on worms and peanuts, for the forthcoming brooding scenario, during which she'll get precious little of anything I imagine.

 If the scheme is the same as it is with chickens, and I imagine this applies to all birds, she first makes the nest, but doesn't sit on the eggs until she has laid as many as she considers make up a decent family, so we should see one extra egg a day until she decides to sit. This is obviously so that all the eggs hatch at more or less the same time.

I haven't worked out how to stream live video to the blog yet or indeed if this is even feasible, so this is just a quick test video to see how it looks. There doesn't appear to be any sound either I notice. I will continue to update as things proceed. I hope this is viewable to everyone, please let me know if it isn't.

Hopefully I'll have more action in my later movies, this is after all, my directorial debut.

7 comments:

  1. Your (and the robin's) progress with the project is quite impressive. I will be watching for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, lovely, how exciting.
    Have both birds got red breasts then? I always thought the females were just brown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to some more activity posts, robin-wise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very exciting,I really have to get one of these as we have so many bird houses. Will be looking forward to more eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh well done you! Or should I say the lady robin! Look forward to seeing her progress, and hopes she manages to raise a brood this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol
    Iwas on the edge of my soddin seat!
    lol
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! Chickens have started roaming the garden and are loving it, made the sticky toffee pud this afternoon, went down well and so much better than Greg wallace's!!

    ReplyDelete

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...