Wednesday 30 March 2011

My New Swedish Garden Assistant

Allow me to introduce Johanna, my new Hot Composter from Sweden.


Not tall blonde and willowy, but rather short dumpy and green, the Green Johanna is my new compost bin. She represents the latest enclosed, and therefore rat proof, composting system. Rat proof is quite important to me as I live near the Cotswold water park it doesn't take much to encourage Mr and Mrs Ratty and their many offspring to make a holiday home in the compost heap.   I do quite a bit of composting, indeed I am a trained, card carrying Compost Ambassador for the local council, and find the subject fascinating, (I know, I never thought I'd hear myself say that either).

 As a friend of mine said the other day, rats are the elephant in the room in composting circles. Everyone is being encourged these days to compost their household waste, but no one likes to mention the R word in polite society  in case it might put newcomers  off. Which of course it would. Who wants to let their children play in the garden which is also home to a nest of rats? Obviously, no one. I've heard no end of ways you are supposed to "discourage" rats from your compost - kicking the bin everytime you walk past is the favourite - I heard it on Gardeners Question Time again recently. Take it from me it's a waste of time. Not putting cooked food waste in the compost is another, - but I've even had rats in compost made entirely from garden waste, it's such a warm cosy place to make a nest.  

And lest people think I'm being excessive about it, remember that rats carry disease. People still die, albeit not in large numbers any more, from Weil's Disease, which is a kind of leptospirosis caught from contact with animal, notably rats', urine. And so I have tended to be wary of encouraging people to have garden compost containers other than enclosed wormeries,  until now.

The Green Johanna could be the answer. I've had her for a few weeks now and she's doing a good job. She arrives in bits, and is quite simple to put together. The main difference is that the bottom is not open to the ground as most compost containers are, but has small holes in it, to allow for the entry of worms, which are so necessary to the composting process, but are too small for rats to gain entry. The lid screws on quite firmly and the access doors at the bottom fit quite snugly and can even be screwed down for extra rat proofing. And because it's enclosed you can put all your household waste , including meat, fish and bones into it quite safely. You can even buy a winter jacket for Johanna so that she works faster in the cold weather.


Well that's the good news, the bad news is that price -see  the north american site and even the European one . But since good old Wiltshire council are offering them at a subsidised price of £24, I thought it worth a try, and so far I'm quite glad I did. If you live in the UK you may find your local council running a similar scheme. 

 It occured to me though, as I was assembling Johanna, that I could probably achieve a similar kind of enclosed decomposition in one of these second hand plastic drums that I bought  last year to use as water butts. If I just drilled some holes in the bottom? Might give that a try too.

9 comments:

  1. What a great gardening assistant. I hope she works over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Johanna...if I lived in the country I would surely have one...perhaps I should get one for my son, he likes to compost (and I could take my fruit and vegetable scraps to him). Appreciate the concern regarding rats and disease! Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your compost buddy lives up to your expectations!

    My compost pile consist of... well a pile lol. I just dump my stuff in a pile. I add old cow manure I collect from my neighbors pasture to it and I pour a beer over it now and again LOL... slow but sure it works LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah rats - yes they do tend to 'gloss over that bit don't they! She looks lovely and another great garden idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to start composting... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like your compost bin and people need to heed your advice about rats because they are not good things to have living near your home although I think many people would be surprised just how close to their home they really are. Anyone who feeds the birds will probably have rats pay them a visit from time to time, they will take advantage of any situation given half a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a simple solution I have found to stop rats getting into plastic compost bins.

    Simply place them onto 4 concrete slabs laid underneath them. Allow small gaps between the slabs and lay them straight onto levelled soil. Rats can't get in but worms can.

    It's worked on all my council compost bins and I know the rats have tried to get in as they dig under the slabs without any success entering the bins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started to try to compost, but my DH drilled the holes wrong and ruined a $20 barrel, every time I tried to turn it, the juices ran out all over my shoes. UGH! Yours looks quite efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Texan I'm concerned at your inclination to pour good beer on the compost heap, I'd drink it first if you see what I mean...

    ReplyDelete

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...