Tuesday 8 June 2010

Bird Deterrent Update

Just a quick update on the state of my cherry trees. I know how you worry about these things.

I'm not sure if it's because of the Whirring Blades effect of the plastic wire, or the plastic bags tied to the branches,but there is a definite sign of ripening on the fruit, ie it's still there, and hasn't so far been eaten by birds.  Not edible yet, but pinkish yellow, as opposed to greenish yellow which is about as far as we normally get.So progress on that front. I'm not about to count my chickens yet though, as I've done this in previous years, only to be disappointed in the end.



Some rain has fallen today, at last, but nothing like as much as was promised by the Met Office. I'm spending far too much time watering at the moment, instead of planting and weeding, especially weeding. After all these millions of years of evolution, you would think the weather would have worked out that it should rain during the night for an adequate period of time, and then be fine during the daytime. That would be much more convenient.

I have finally cleared away the last of the spring flowers,forget me nots have gone in the compost. Many spring flowers just fade away about now, snowdrops and primroses for example, but if you have any of the larger polyanthus, they tend to make large rather cabbagey leaves at this time. You can leave them in situ for next year if you don't need the space, but my Hose in Hose primroses are at the front of the border and I can put something more attractive in there for the summer. So I just dig up the clumps and plant them at the back of the border behind something tall, where they can spend the summer months. They are quite happy in a shady cool position provided they get enough moisture, and I will dig them up again in autumn and split up the plants and put them in their flowering positions ready for next year. Proper job, as they say in Devon.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm Plastic bags sounds like a good idea. Will try that on my fig tree this year. The cherry tree is no problem, it has so many cherries there are more than enough to share! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree on the rain at night part. :-)
    Hope your fruit keeps on comin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Diane, I wish I had enough cherries to be so generous!

    Hi GSS Don't we just wish..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am jealous of your beautiful cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beekeeping can be a fascinating hobby but it can also be a profitable business. Beekeeping is

    a full time occupation for other people. There are thousands of hobby beekeepers worldwide

    and numerous large-scale commercial beekeepers. According to estimates, the annual production

    of honey worldwide exceeds a million metric tons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...