Friday 25 June 2010

Don't Panic Mr Mainwaring



 Calm in a crisis that's me. Like Tom Hanks in the Apollo 13 film. Houston we have a problem, we're about to crash the spaceship, no panic, we can deal with this calmly. So when someone (naming no names, but I'm married to him) rings up and says  sternly "we've got an emergency situation here, can you go over to the office now and ring me straight back", I waste no valuable time asking questions but hang up and rush,(but without panicking Mr Mainwairing) over to said office, all the time wondering whose blood is on the floor, whose life may be ebbing away, and in my hurry (but not panic) my fingers won't press the right buttons, don't panic, don't panic, can't get the phone to work, but eventually it does and it's engaged,dial again, oh god, what can it be, this time he answers... could I just look through the invoices for a missing delivery number as one of our largest customers won't accept their delivery without the correct number.

It's kind of an emergency I suppose, since they are a big customer, but it's not AN EMERGENCY.  I should have realised of course that I couldn't supply any life saving information from the office phone that I couldn't already have given from the home one, if indeed I even know any life saving information. But it's the word "emergency" that got me going, but not panicking. EMERGENCY to me indicates some kind of life and death matter, grievous bodily harm, falling off a ladder at the very least, and trying not to panic, definitely not panicking, but.. delivery numbers??. I had to laugh afterwards though. One person's emergency is another's missing delivery number.

Sorry, post has absolutely nothing to do with gardening or cooking. Back to normal tomorrow. Don't panic.

11 comments:

  1. If my husband said emergency I would have been in more that a panic, as he is always the calming influence in our house. He always tells me to sit down, get things right and my mind and fix the problem. Easy. I can never solve these things like he can...... Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!

    I don't mean to laugh, but my husband does the same thing. I'll be drowsing in bed, half awake, and I'll hear 'HOLY S**T!' from the kitchen. I'll sit up in bed, heart racing, asking 'WHAT??' (he hurts himself by accident a lot, so I always think it's something bad) and it turns out he's just agitated by something he saw in the newspaper or something. I get so upset lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the same thing around here, we have our own ideas of what an emergency is. My DH will see an emergency in anything, so I panic with them all, be it a missing tool to a car wreck, it's always with the same urgency!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kathy, We live in times when increasingly hyperbole is the order of the day. Perhaps it is to attract and hold attention. I know not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story. Thanks for the giggle first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, join the club, my husband dose that to me all the time. I kind of got used to it now.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry but I had to giggle! I hope he needed an emergency appoitment at the Drs re his hearing after you gave him an ear bashing about what his emergency did to your heart rate lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. its a man thing........
    they need a good slapped bottom for being so dramatic

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't stop laughing ... sorry! I guess this scenario touched a cord.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my reaction would have been the same to my DH saying we have an emergency! Someone needs to tell them the definition to "emergency" LOL

    I did get a chuckle from your post :O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seems I'm not the only spouse to suffer from this situation:) Thanks for all your comments and responses

    ReplyDelete

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...