Monday 1 November 2010

Chateau Rita

My past efforts at producing a drinkable alcoholic beverage have not been amongst the greatest of my acheivements. I've many a time produced an excellent and eco friendly drain cleaner, and very occasionally something that you could put into a casserole if you were really pushed, so it was with some trepidation that I promised my friend Rita that I would call round to pick up the two carrier bag fulls of red grapes she had picked from her garden and kept for me, and that I would try to make them into something drinkable. Rita said that she had categorically no other possible use for them, so it was either me or the compost heap, and that being the case, I thought I might as well give it a go. Again.
They have produced almost a gallon of juice, rather sharp and acid, and so I topped it up with some of my pressed apple juice, which is quite sweet. It's certainly fermenting away like the clappers, so let's hope that the end product is something drinkable. I've already got the cleanest drains in the area.

8 comments:

  1. Love your last comment:-) I hope that is not where it all ends up. Cheers, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. My partner also was given a huge bag of grapes, and these, too, were sent, hopefully, into an eventual wine state. However, much dust has been sailing about in our maison, and at the minute the wine jars are submerged in it. Also, nowhere to keep the wine at a reasonable temperature for fermenting so it looks like the 'wine' has gone into hibernation. It will be quite some miracle, therefore, if drinkable wine is produced from these grapes. Hope your wine comes out better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud at the drain cleaner! Scared the crap outta the cat! I'm going to start some grapefruit wine today, got a tree heaving, then I'll be using the plums in the freezer and maybe some more feijoa, the feijoa we're drinking now is very nice indeedy! Good luck with yours :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very funny!

    I hope this batch works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! I so want to learn to make my own"stuff" some day...I am sure I will make a few drain cleaners too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never know you might have a fine beverage there. I made dandelion wine once, we aged it a year and it was terrible. Let it sit in the basement 5 years and retried it. Aged five years it was pretty good, it did have a bit of a kick to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it looks good !
    My dad used to try his hand at making gooseberry wine, it would make the hair stand up on the back of your neck, and you'd be positively sloshed after half a glass :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun.:) I bet it will have a great flavor. One of our goals is to try producing a drinkable alcoholic beverage too. Next year we hope to do something with apples.

    ReplyDelete

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...