Sunday 9 May 2010

How Many Barrowloads in Four Tons?

In case you've ever wondered, and I'm sure you have, what four tons(or is that tonnes) of compost looks like...

well it's quite a lot as you can see. You may recall I recently had a dumpy bag, equivalent to half a ton of Warrior Compost delivered by my local recycling centre, and since I got through it in no time, I thought I would take advantage of their discounted price for bulk delivery.  It came on the back of a sizeable tipper truck, and bless the driver, he did relatively little damage to the garden in tipping this lot into the designated spot. So now all I have to do is barrow it all over the garden.

I've already made up my outdoor tomato beds using this compost, which I hope to finish later today, so I will show you tomorrow. I am trying a new scheme to combat the dreaded blight, which has been so much of a problem for me and many others with outdoor tomatoes in recent years.

More later, I have some barrowing to do...

9 comments:

  1. Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt dirty.

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief! That sounds like summat we do! haha! Happy shovelling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to have a nice pile of that in our yard. Getting a nice layer of compost in makes everything look extra pretty. Good luck with your tomatoes this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! All that compost look so good. About now I'm thinking I should have done this instead of the hugelkultur. Hope you tomatoes do well this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh that looks lovely and dark - full of goodness. I'm also trying to rig up something to combat blight- be interested to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of my planting beds after they have been covered in the fine dark compost. It's a tough job spreading it but a job well done. For tammykingdon, when I plant my tomatoes I first add a cup of Lime and a cup of Bone Meal to the bottom of the hole and mix well before planting each plant. It has kept that blight away from my tomatoes for years now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gardener on SS - thanks, not sure about the fun though!

    SJM - Will I ever get through it all?

    Catherine - It does make everything look better

    Thanks Callie, will be checking back with you to see how it goes

    tammy - we have to fight on and hope for the best

    Doc, thats an interesting idea for fighting blight, maybe the lime helps

    ReplyDelete
  8. kathy////// thats a lot of shi*e
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...