Saturday 1 May 2010

Leopard's Bane Starts Off The Herbaceous Season

I always like to see the bright jolly flowers of  Doronicum, or Leopard's Bane, in late Spring - it's the first of the herbaceous perennials to flower. I'm surprised that it's not more popular, as it does flower quite a bit before even the early subjects in the border. One of the problems is that it's about the same colour and size as the dreaded dandelion, which is in flower at the same time, but it's really well worth having, bridging the gap, as it does, between the spring bulbs and summer perennials.  It  grows pretty well anywhere, mine is under trees, in light shade. It makes a large clump in just a few years, and can be divided after flowering. I think mine's the ordinary sort, but several named varietes are available.

4 comments:

  1. Just in case you didn't realize it, I'm learning an awful lot from you. Off to see if Leopard's Bane exists on this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is new to me. In my lawns I have the best crop of dandelions in Pennsylvania, so I don't know if Leopard's Bane would work for me. Great information. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dandelions themselves are a good bee plant. I think they look beautiful and are worthy of a place in anyones garden. The young leaves can be used in salads and the roots can be used to make a drink too.

    Norm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Louise, glad to be of help, hope you find the plant

    Pam -I'm sure it would look good over there too , but see Norm's comment about dandelions

    Hi Norm - Now I feel guilty for not mentioning how useful dandelions are for bees, as a beekeeper myself I should have done, a weed is only a wild flower in the wrong place, and generally I love to see them, but like most gardeners, I can't be doing with them in my flower borders. Got loads in the lawn though..!

    ReplyDelete

Automatic chicken keeping - Introducing the Eggmobile

  I'm hugely excited about this new aquisition Well that just looks like an ancient rusty horsebox I hear you say. And what's more, ...